Ciszek is an Assistant Professor of Public Relations at the University of Texas at Austin's Stan Richards School of Advertising & Public Relations in the Moody College of Communication. She earned her PhD from the University of Oregon's School of Journalism and Communication. She is a New England native, hailing from Boston where she worked as a strategic analyst for Mullen Advertising and Public Relations. She has worked in strategic analytics, market research and has contributed to LGBT newspapers and magazines in New England.
Her research, teaching, and service are all grounded in a commitment to strategic communication for social justice.
Her inquiries explore about how social movements utilize strategic communication tools to influence public opinion and public policy. Through engagement with critical theory and empirical research, her scholarship bridges the gap between activism and public relations.
Her research interests include:
* critical/cultural approaches to strategic communication
* public relations
* activism, advocacy, & social justice
* social media & digital communications
* diversity & communication
Her teaching interests include:
* principles of public relations
* strategic social media
* research methods
* nonprofit public relations
* strategic planning and campaigns
* communication & diversity
Her other interests include:
* thrifting & refinishing furniture
* exploring and discovering Texas